You must have a valid U.S. issued Passport Book for travel to Malawi. Passport Cards are NOT acceptable for international travel by air.
Visit the State Department web site to download forms and instructions necessary to apply for a new passport or to renew or add Visa pages to an existing passport.
If you already have a Passport Book:
- Confirm that the expiration date is at least 6 months beyond the trip return date. If it is not, use Form DS-82 to renew your passport by mail. Go to the State Department website for instructions and eligibility.
- Ensure that you have 2-4 empty Visa Pages. If you do not, use Form DS-4085 to request more Visa Pages by mail. Go to the State Department website for instructions and eligibility.
If you do NOT have a current Passport Book:
- Schedule an appointment at a local Passport Acceptance Facility (such as participating U.S. Post offices).
- You will need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship (such as a certified birth certificate) and proof of identity (such as a valid driversí license or social security card or employee id). You will need to provide an acceptable passport photo or have one taken at the facility for an additional fee.
- The fee to add additional blank Visa Pages is $82.00
- The fee to renew a Passport Book is $110.00
- The fee to apply for a new Passport Book is $135.00
- The fee to expedited service is an additional $60.00
- The fee for overnight delivery is an additional $12.85
- Routine service takes approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.
- Expedited service takes approximately 2-3 weeks, when overnight delivery is requested and paid both ways (to and from the passport agency).
Important Notes about Passports:
- You must receive your passport 5-6 weeks prior to your travel date, so your passport name and number can be provided to the airline as required! If you need to apply for a new passport, passport renewal or additional Visa pages, you should do so as soon as possible. Before submitting your application, check the expected processing times to determine if you should apply for expedited service and overnight delivery in order to get your passport in time!
- Once you have a valid passport, make three copies. One copy should go to your trip leader, one should be left at home and one copy should be kept inside your carryon luggage.
- Passports are valid for ten years from the date they are issued.